Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The best under-rated player at Manchester City?

The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 13 Apr 2012 20:26 #1

• Writer, professional beer drinker: @BlueWolf1894
  • BlueWolf
  • Admin
  • NOW ONLINE
Of course I am going to say, the Zab-Man.

Or am I?

Can't get enough of the Zab-Man, but the trouble is much of the City faithful adore the guy, and realize him for what he is - hard-working, blue-through-and-through, and never (ever) complains. Really can't argue with that, can we? But that means he isn't under-rated.

So who is?

NDJ used to have his praises sung high from the roof-tops, but he has been rarely utilized this season.
How about AJ? Not too many starts, but the consensus is that less starts and more subs is better.
Pants? Done admirably well when called upon.
Cauliflower? Not much of a defender (which is what he actually is), but rather good going forward (still say he should be a defensive midfielder).
Savic? Young, thrown in at the deep-end and expected to perform. Not really going to happen, was it? But he (for the most part) did his job.
Clichy? Now we might be talking. Bought for a lot, and didn't do a lot. Until recently, that is. Has been playing fantastically well of late.

You may have your own ideas as to whom. So speak up - I am listening.
Almost finished writing MANCHESTER CITY: The Secret History Of A Club That Has No History an irreverent and satirical guide to our great club

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 13 Apr 2012 20:34 #2

• BM
  • Admin
  • NOW ONLINE
Silly question

its without doubt Gareth Barry

the work that lad puts in is incredible and i know what you mean about zabaleta but to be fair zaba doesnt start many games so its hard to judge but gareth barry starts most games and for me that shows to mancini how much he trusts barry.

again on wednesday barry showed what a great underrated player he is when he was head and shoulders above aguero but serg got MOTM and for me thats because people dont see what work barry puts in and you only have to look at even england where he is a regular starter and fans from other clubs dont know why he starts in the first place.

im sure if you ask every manager hes played for they will say barry is the most underrated player they have had the pleasure of managing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bimblelass, AttunLatot

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 13 Apr 2012 20:41 #3

• Writer, professional beer drinker: @BlueWolf1894
  • BlueWolf
  • Admin
  • NOW ONLINE
See, I left him out on purpose because he features so much, yet rarely gets the praise or the accolades.

Milner is in a similar vein, but has not (for some reason) featured as much.
Almost finished writing MANCHESTER CITY: The Secret History Of A Club That Has No History an irreverent and satirical guide to our great club

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 13 Apr 2012 20:43 #4

• Gene Hunt
  • NOW ONLINE
Mario Balottelli..
:tup:

James Milner. The piano shifter's piano shifter.

Although I feel Joe Hart, whilst not under-rated doesn't always get the credit he deserves.

Which is strange because he is one of the very best.
Got a quote, Harry?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bimblelass

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 13 Apr 2012 20:48 #5

• Failed Trainee Optimist
  • AttunLatot
  • NOW ONLINE
BM wrote:
Silly question

its without doubt Gareth Barry

the work that lad puts in is incredible and i know what you mean about zabaleta but to be fair zaba doesnt start many games so its hard to judge but gareth barry starts most games and for me that shows to mancini how much he trusts barry.

again on wednesday barry showed what a great underrated player he is when he was head and shoulders above aguero but serg got MOTM and for me thats because people dont see what work barry puts in and you only have to look at even england where he is a regular starter and fans from other clubs dont know why he starts in the first place.

im sure if you ask every manager hes played for they will say barry is the most underrated player they have had the pleasure of managing.

Capello used to play him a lot for England too. Perhaps Gaz is the thinking Italian's English midfielder?

I love Gareth's work ethic. And James Milner too.
Cocky, know-all, pessimist. Smartarse.

At least I'm not a rag.

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 14 Apr 2012 06:21 #6

• flinty123city
  • Mike Doyle
Hmm - difficult to say that its Barry, when he is probably one of the first names on Englands team sheet - So I will go with Woolfies suggestion of Clichy - think he has been a fantastic signing and easily overshadowed expensive misfits like Bridge and Cauliflower for the left back position!!!!
4 major trophies, destined for our wall AND IF ONE MAJOR TROPHY should accidentally fall.....................There will be three, erm no, two Major trophies.........

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 14 Apr 2012 07:30 #7

• Vhero
  • Joe Corrigan
I would go Joe Hart too. Although he's a huge name for England on a City team sheet he is just one of the lads and not one of the biggest players. Purely because he's been here since the start.
Boom goes the dynamite!

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 14 Apr 2012 08:06 #8

• billy hunt
  • Asa Hartford
  • NOW ONLINE
Lescott . We missed him big time when he was injured . All the plaudits rightly go to Vinny , but VK and Joe seem a lot happier when he is around .
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcfctop4

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 14 Apr 2012 11:01 #9

• Spanish Supporter from the south
  • Carlitos
  • Frank Swift
Barry and Zab for me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Merlin

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 14 Apr 2012 12:54 #10

• Vhero
  • Joe Corrigan
billy hunt wrote:
Lescott . We missed him big time when he was injured . All the plaudits rightly go to Vinny , but VK and Joe seem a lot happier when he is around .

Lescott is too inconsistent
carlosrl24 wrote:
Barry and Zab for me

Okay Barry I can see but Zab? He works for the team sure nobody will deny that and for that reason he deserves a place at least for cup games and as a backup player but he is far from under-rated. If anything he is over rated. Today he got the run around from Norwich attacking players. The weird thing is he has an eye for being in the right place and spotting a space but when gets the ball he has a problem doing something with it e.g. scoring or putting on the foot of somebody who can. he's a weird character but he does work his ass off i'll give him that but under-rated? NO.. We all know exactly what he does for the team everybody sees it.
Boom goes the dynamite!

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 15 Apr 2012 13:50 #11

• billy hunt
  • Asa Hartford
  • NOW ONLINE
I agree he is inconsistent . But ask the defence who they want at centre half .

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 15 Apr 2012 17:25 #12

• Founding Member
  • mcfctop4
  • Frank Swift
Lescott is a lot better than people give him credit for.. I think Billy is right, Kompany only truely looks comfortable when he has Joleon along side him. The have a good partnership and know each other well, to break it up would only serve to create problems.

GB is another sensational player who is just part of the furniture for the most part but we look hollow without him. He is a quiet "Alonso" at Liverpool he was the string puller before they sold him, the second they sold him the club crashed and has never recovered, GB pulls alot of strings in our team and we lack direction without him.

The past few games ive attended ive watched Clichy off the ball alot and his work rate is phenomenal, for such a fast guy he sure does get around, some like Walcott and CR7 are burst players but the lad runs and runs and runs and that last goal yesterday at Norwich was absolutely first class and was only down to his pace that Aguero could find him..
This is how it feels to be city,
This is how it feels to be small,
You sign Phil Jones,
We sign Kun Aguero,
Kun Aguero,
Kun Aguero.

#MCFC
Simon Laughton ™ (@mcfctop4) April 12, 2012

Many many moons ago, there were 12...

Re: The best under-rated player at Manchester City? 16 Apr 2012 00:40 #13

• Patiently predicting City transfers since 2008
  • Sev
I'm gonna have to go with Balotelli and De Jong.

Balotelli because he is written off by at least 50% of the fanbase as a lost cause or worse.

and Nigel because his passing is fantastic and among the best in Europe, if a bit too defensive for most's taste.
Suffering from civitasitis typicalis, and clutching at straws...

Thou canst go thither and flen flyys thine self, for ye art a shabby scarlet textile.
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Donate to MCFCForum

Please consider supporting MCFCForum so we can continue to bring you the very best experience we can

Amount:

Go to top